In the days leading up to my surgery eveyone asked if I was nervous, I wasn't but I started wondering if I should be since apparently everyone felt I should be?

That all changed the night before when. My sister and I were texting and she mentioned a catheter. NOW I was nervous. I created a thread on Vital asking for info from those who had the surgery. The data was split, some had caths, some didn't. Fortunately, all who did said it was done after they were sedated; inuding Heather B(thanks Heather!). Ok nerves gone again.

So I get to the hospital, get into my gown and watch CNN coverage on Fort Hood and a little Scooby Doo. Two separate nurses try to get my IV started, unsuccessfully; good thing needles don't bother me. So they decide to let the anesthesiologist do the IV later.

I am wheeled to pre-op in my bed where I lay for about 35 mintues answering the same questions to about 4 different staff members, finally get my IV started and get to go to John for the last time. There was a 6 year old girl next to me in pre-op, Sabrina, who was there for her second cyst removal from her neck since July, she was so cute and at ease. Strong little girl there.

Off to the operating room I am wheeled which is probably say 60 degrees but they put warm blankets on me and I was good to go. I was transfered to a new bed, given O2 and then the nurse says, "I'm gonna give you something to relax your muscles in your IV". Next thing I remember, I wake up in post-op. Well, sort of wake up, you know the feeling. I was so hungry but not wanting to eat yet in case nausea was laying in wait. Was very groggy feeling but not sickly. Ate some crackers, drank some water and took my first Vicoden. I wasn't having any pain but the nurse insisted so I partook.

I have this very cool device which is essentially an Igloo cooler filled with ice and water which is hooked up to a knee wrap to keep my knee on ice for about 7-8 hours at a time. Cool!

It's now 22 hours after surgery and I've done alot of sleeping with my foot elevated about a foot above my waist. I do lots of ankle rolls and lower/upper leg muscle flexing to assure they stay as limber as possible. Walking is slow, crutches are sketchy and I'm real concerned about the first squat on the pot :-).

All in all I feel great and can't wait to get it strong and have a good knee again. Maybe next year I'll do my left knee :-p

Thanks for all the concern and support!

- Posted from my iPhone
|
This entry was posted on 11:17 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: